RSS

Office 2007 & 2010 documents in the SHAREPOINT 2007 Search Results

30 Jul

SITUATION:

One of our SharePoint 2007 user were compliant that the search results are not showing the documents. There was some inconsistent in the search results as it was not showing the documents for the keyword we provided although that keyword exists in the document.

CAUSE:

I started to investigate the issue by looking at the crawl log. The crawl log was looks promising as it shows successfully crawled on all the documents in that document library. But search results does not show the correct results.
Initially, I thought this could be related to the “EnableOptimisticTitleOverride” as most of the documents title were same. So, I made the proper entries in RegEdit and restarted the full crawl. Still no luck!
This confirmed that there were issues with the documents title. So, I changed the XSLT of “Search Core Results” webpart to see the raw XML search results.

<xsl:stylesheet version=”1.0″ xmlns:xsl=”http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform&#8221; >
<xsl:output method=”xml” version=”1.0″ encoding=”UTF-8″ indent=”yes” />
<xsl:template match=”/”>
<xmp><xsl:copy-of select=”*”/></xmp>
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

I could not find the correct results for the given keyword in the raw XML output from Search Component. Hence, I have confirmed that there were no problem with displaying the search results.I had a question in my mind that does the crawler really indexed the documents in that particular document library. Although the crawl log shows it was successfully crawled/indexed the documents, but I still would like to know the crawl job successfully indexed the documents.

So, I have started writing a tool (MOSSSearch) to check & see whether the crawled database contains the correct results at least. I made sure this tool should accept the input parameters from the administrators, build the SQL and query against the database.
Using this tool, I have concluded that crawled database does not contains the correct documents for the query keyword.

Then, I remember that we had setup this SharePoint 2007 environment back in 2009 and that time users were using Windows XP and Office 2007. We were installed Office 2007 FilterPack for indexing Office 2007 documents. But late in 2013, all our desktops have been migrated to Windows 7 with office 2010. Now, everyone is using the office 2010 documents and uploading them to the SharePoint 2007. But we had Office 2007 filterPack in that environment. Although SharePoint 2007 crawl log shows that Office 2010 documents were crawled/indexed successfully, but reality situation is SharePoint 2007 Crawler could not index the Office 2010 documents using Office 2007 filterPack.

RESOLUTION:

I have installed the Office 2010 filterPack (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17062) with SP2 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2687447) and then restarted the OSearch (net stop osearch & net start osearch). The Search Results were showing the correct results which contains office 2007 & office 2010 documents.

Advertisements
 
Leave a comment

Posted by on July 30, 2014 in Sharepoint

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: