We had wired experienced with immediate alerts on last week. We have two web application and alerts are working fine in one of the Web Application and suddenly alerts were stopped working on second web application. I tried to restart the alerts and update the alert templates for problematic site. But, no luck!
Then when I dig into the issue in central administration, I found out that immediate alerts timer job of content database server is in “initialized” state. After I restart the timer service on content database server, immediate alerts timer job of content database server is in “Aborted” state. Finally, we solved this issue by clearing the config cache using following steps:
1. Stop Windows SharePoint Services Timer on Windows Services
2. Go to ‘C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\SharePoint\Config’ on front-end server and back-end server
3. Clear xml files from the above folder.
4. Open cache.ini file and restart the number into ‘1’
5. Start Windows SharePoint Services Timer on Windows Services
Hope this helps!